Flu Shot Administration by a Direct Primary Care Doctor in Orlando, FL
The yearly spread of influenza is inevitable, but the timing, severity, and duration of the annual flu season are highly unpredictable. There are many different—and constantly evolving—flu viruses, which means there are brand-new ones to contend with every year. Based on extensive research studies, scientists formulate the seasonal flu vaccine to provide protection against the viruses that are predicted to be the most prevalent in the upcoming months. That’s why yearly flu shot administration is so important.
Of course, a flu shot will not provide complete protection against influenza. In fact, nothing can. However, the U.S. Centers for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) maintain that an annual influenza vaccine is the most effective preventive measure that is currently available.
Preventing the Flu
In addition to seeing a medical professional annually for flu shot administration, here are some other ways to lower your risk of becoming sick with—and spreading—influenza:
- Stay home when you aren’t feeling well — Take a few days off from work, school, and errands to allow your body time to rest and recover and avoid exposing others to your illness.
- Shield your coughs and sneezes — Cover your mouth and nose with a clean tissue whenever you cough or sneeze, then place the used tissue in a wastebasket. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve instead of your hand.
- Keep your hands clean — Wash your hands thoroughly and often to help prevent the spread of germs. If soap and warm water are not available, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer is the next best thing.
- Keep your hands away from your face — Germs are easily spread after you touch a contaminated surface and then touch your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Reduce germs in your surroundings — Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, especially when someone is ill.
- Maintain other healthy habits — Stay well-hydrated, exercise regularly, get sufficient sleep, and consume a nutritious diet.
At Optimum Direct Care in Orlando, FL, we offer flu shot administration as part of our comprehensive membership package. We encourage our members to receive a seasonal flu shot as soon as it becomes available in the fall of every year. This is the best way to ensure optimal protection before the flu season begins in earnest.
To learn more about flu shot administration at Optimum Direct Care, contact us today.