IUD Removal Performed By a Direct Primary Care Doctor in Orlando, FL
An intrauterine device (IUD) is a highly effective, long-term, and completely reversible birth control method. Easily inserted into a woman’s uterus by a doctor, this tiny, T-shaped piece of flexible plastic has a string attached to facilitate its later removal.
An IUD works by releasing copper (a spermicide) or synthetic hormones into the woman’s reproductive tract, which can inhibit sperm from reaching and fertilizing the woman’s eggs. Once in place, an IUD can prevent pregnancy for three to 12 years, depending on its type. At the end of its lifespan—or sooner if pregnancy is desired or the IUD otherwise becomes unnecessary—it can be readily removed by a doctor.
What to Expect When Your IUD Is Removed
A relatively quick and simple procedure, IUD removal can be performed in a doctor’s office. Because a woman’s cervix softens during her menstrual cycle, this is generally the optimal time for IUD removal, although the procedure can be safely and comfortably performed at any time.
Typically, IUD removal involves the following steps:
- The patient lies face-up on an examination table with her feet positioned apart or placed in stirrups.
- The doctor inserts a speculum into the patient’s vagina to separate her vaginal walls and locate the IUD.
- Using forceps, the doctor gently pulls on the string attached to the IUD.
- As the doctor slowly pulls the IUD out of the patient’s uterus, the arms of the device fold upward for ease of removal.
- Once the procedure is complete, the doctor will remove the speculum.
During or after IUD removal, some women experience light bleeding or cramping. To improve comfort, a doctor may suggest taking an over-the-counter pain reliever beforehand. As soon as the IUD is removed, the woman’s fertility will return to normal and she can potentially become pregnant immediately.
IUD Removal at Optimum Direct Care
If you’re a member of Optimum Direct Care in Orlando, FL, IUD removal is included among the many primary health care services covered by your membership. This means you can have your IUD removed by our board-certified family practice physician, Dr. Toni “Muzzi” Muzzonigro, any time you’d like. Contact us to learn more.